Thursday, 23 October 2008

Job hunting

Four years ago I walked into a local employment agency and told them I wanted a job, within two hours they had given me a choice of vacancies and sent me on my way. I worked one year in a menial office position before deciding to improve my life chances and get a degree from a decent university.

Now I have emerged into the harsh world of employment once again, only this time armed with a years experience and a single sheet of A4 to show for my last three years. Only this time the employment agencies are not ringing me at all hours of the day to ensure my services, and in the last 3 months I have had only a handful of serious chances at employment.

Some might say that this is the result of the global downturn, however I believe I have found the real reason for this drought of opportunity - laziness. Four years ago the employment agency I used relied on humans searching the books for their most qualified candidates and calling them up, now the same people are content to just press a button and have the computer email a vacancy to every person who has mentioned a specific keyword in their CV.

If these people were to tear themselves away from their facebook windows and msn chats and read the CV's that had been sent in then they might be able to place people and earn their comission, instead of sending them another email asking them to apply for a job that needs an engineering degree and 5 years experience.

No comments: