I have a friend, well I say friend but he has become more of an acquaintance these days, who has recently decided to become a writer. This is his third career choice in the year since he has left university, with his previous efforts confined to the bin for being too time consuming. He is in essence looking for a job where he can sleep late everyday and only spend only 10 minutes doing actual work, and it shows.
I am currently being bombarded with links to various articles that he has written, hidden in the depths of 'knowledge share' websites that no-one has previously ever heard of. His hope is that an industry person will stumble upon his rambling prose, and be so bowled over by his work that they will hire him on the spot. I know people working in this industry and therefore know that the chances of this happening are the same as the chances of me winning the lottery tomorrow -pretty damn slim considering I don't enter. I know that even short 500 word articles are written and re-written several times of the course of a few days, not churned out in the 5 minutes between brushing your teeth and bedtime. I also know that in order to get published, and that is properly published not just submitting yourself to some obscure website, you have to start at the bottom. Journalism is very much an old fashioned industry in that regard, people come in at the very bottom and work their way up to the top.
The worst part of this is not his unrealistic idea of what it takes to become a journalist, it is his poor quality of writting. Every article is littered with spelling and gramatical errors (I am guilty of this as well, but I am not trying to become a journalist), how does he expect anyone to take him seriously when he can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes reading through what he has written?
This entire situation bothers me for one main reason; in the time he has managed to go through all sorts of jobs that he acquired through friends and family, I have been struggling on through the 'normal' channels. The recession is starting to bite and competition for jobs is on the up, the last post I applied for had 2000 applications, yes 2000. It is no wonder it is so hard to find lasting employment these days. Yes I could sit here and write articles for $10 a pop, and properly at that, but unlike him I have bills to pay and can't rely on the generousity of others to put food in my mouth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment